St. Joseph Missionary Baptist Church
The St. Joseph Missionary Baptist Church History
February 20, 1955 the first meeting to organize the church was held.
March 6, 1955, the St. Joseph Missionary Baptist Church was officially organized and Rev. Dr. Joseph R. Davis would serve as Pastor, Rev. J. W. Edwards as Assistant Pastor, Deacon Oscar Davis, Sr , Chairman of the Deacon Board, Deacon Alfred Blunt, Treasurer and Sis. Ora Wheat, Church Clerk. During this month negotiations began on a permanent church location, that location would be 2901 W. Monroe Street, Chicago, IL. In May 1955 negotiations were settled and the deal was closed for our new church home.
Church auxiliaries which were established, Usher Board, Jr. Usher Board, Choir, Mission Society, Nurses Board, Pastor's Aide and Sunday School. The clubs would serve as the financial resources of the church and they were the Busy Bees, St. Joseph and Willing Workers.
On June 19, 1958, a fire caused great damaged to the church interior. Dr. Arthur Griffin and the Mozart Church family opened their doors to us. We were able to return home on November 16,1958. Sunday, February 27, 1972, the Mortgage Burning Ceremony was held.
In December of 1986, Rev. David McCall was installed as Pastor and Rev. J.R. Davis retired to Thomasville, Alabama. In January of 1988, Rev. David McCall was called home due to sudden illness.
From October 28, 1989, until Spring of 1992, Rev. Nathaniel Thomas served as our Pastor.
In January 1991, Rev. J.W. Edwards was called home and in 1992, Rev. Dr. J.R. Davis also succumbed in Thomasville.
In May of 1992, Rev. Donald M. McFadden, Sr. was asked to assume interim duties as Pastor of St. Joseph M.B. Church. In December of 1992, Rev. Donald M. McFadden, Sr., was elected Pastor of St. Joseph. In March of 1993, we were blessed to install Rev. McFadden as our Pastor. He and his lovely wife, Mrs. Sharon McFadden remain with us today.
So many of our accomplishments under Pastor McFadden's leadership include:
The name clubs were renamed as Ministries. An increased and growing membership, weekly Bible Study, Youth Ministry, a strong choir and anointed musicians. Outreach activities which include: Clothing and food giveaways, outreach ministry, fellowship with other churches in Christ and total renovation of the Rev. J.W. Edwards Fellowship Hall and the entire second floor.